The SINA/Ivan A. Backer Scholarship program was established in 1997 in honor of Ivan Backer, who served as president of SINA for nearly 20 years. Backer was one of the driving forces behind the revival of Hartford’s southside neighborhood. Scholarship recipients are selected based on service to the community, school, and family, as well as for academic achievement. Three graduating seniors each receive $4000 scholarships to continue their education at accredited 4-year postsecondary programs. The scholarships are awarded at $1,000 per academic year for four years, as long as the student is in good standing. Scholarship recipients are required to submit a copy of their tuition bill and a copy of their transcripts by November 1 of their sophomore, junior, and senior years.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Any graduating Bulkeley High School or Hartford Job Corp senior planning on attending a four-year institution is eligible. The winners will be chosen based on the following criteria.
- Service to Community, School, and Family
- Academic achievement
- Financial need
HOW TO APPLY:
- Email complete application to Linda Torres at email@example.com with the subject title “Your Name: Ivan Backer Scholarship”.
Alternatively, you may share your google drive folder/ dropbox folder with firstname.lastname@example.org. If sending more than one email, please mention in the subject title what you are attaching; for example “Your Name: Ivan Backer Scholarship Community Recommendation”.
- Mail or drop off the complete application to the SINA office: 207 Washington Street, Hartford, CT.
If dropping off, please note you will need a mask to enter the building. You may also push your envelope through the mail slot on the left of the front door.
- Click here to fill out Online Google Form
Please note that you must have all documents ready to upload before filling out the online application as you will not be able to save your progress
Click here to download the fillable pdf application without recommendation forms. See links below for recommendation forms.
Applications must be completed by Friday, March 05, 2021.
If you are having trouble uploading/downloading documents contact Linda Torres at email@example.com or call 860-493-1618.
WHAT A COMPLETE APPLICATION LOOKS LIKE:
- All questions are answered to the best of your ability.
- TWO letters of recommendation; one from your high school and one from the community.
Click here to download the community recommendation form. Click here to download the high school recommendation form.
You may attach additional pages to recommendation forms.
- A 500-word essay discussing activities or relationships in your life involving your community, school, or family.
Essay format: 500 words, typed double space. Make sure to place your name on the paper
Include some, or all of these points:
- Why and how did you get started?
- Did you relate these activities to your schoolwork?
- What have you learned about yourself through your involvement?
- How valuable have these experiences been in your life?
- Has COVID 19 impacted your service in any way? If so, how, and what have you learned through it?
- Your latest available transcript, showing classes taken and grades achieved, along with class ranking.
- A copy of your Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores.
- If available, a copy of your Acceptance Letter and Financial Award for each institution you have been accepted to.
- You may attach any extra pages if necessary such as resumes, as well as documentation of special achievements, awards, or newspaper publicity.